Monday, December 14, 2009

R-r-r-repeat

A few people have noticed that my last couple posts have a had a negative air about them.
Is that it? Has college life made me so jaded that even my musings have become dark?

Life changes, and that's beautiful. I wrote this two a little over two years ago.
Before I realized what changes life had in store for me, and before I realized just how beautiful life really is.
In two years time, my view of the truth has changed entirely. I once thought the world to be beautiful because, otherwise, what was the point? That we live each day to beautify who we are and to fall more in love with what we're doing.

I no longer see the world this way. Life is not some wonderland for us to skip merrily through. We cannot just choose to have lovely experiences, cannot just find the best in life.
Each of us will experience some darkness. There will be clouds overhead, and times where we have no umbrellas.
If life were beautiful in the way I described it two years ago -- I'd have summed up the rain with some cheesy analogy -- that you can share an umbrella with someone cute or find a tree.
In the world as I see it now, there is no umbrella, there are no trees. We are alone in an empty field, with nothing in sight to shield us from the rain.

Life is beautiful because we can get drenched and survive.
It's beautiful because no matter how dark and scary the storm, it cannot hurt us.
We can hurt because of the storm, we can cry because of the cold and pain that it causes us; but in the big scheme of things, it cannot touch us and that is beautiful.
We will wander home after getting drenched, where our mothers, boyfriends, sisters, friends will wrap us up in hypothetical blankets and soothe our aching, but still beating hearts.

There is nothing too dark, nothing too hard, nothing too dank and depressing for us to survive.
Push through the darkness long enough and you will emerge into the sunshine a far better, far stronger person ...with far better stories to tell at parties.

Universal Truth Number Twenty Four

Life is Beautiful. Regardless of darkness.

1 comment:

Snot said...

Life is good cuz! Haha havent been on this for ages! glad to see you've persisted in your commentaries on universal truths! life sucks alot! things stretch us and tear us up till we cant move anymore! And it takes some healing! but in the end, we come out with bigger muscles! :)