Monday, March 8, 2010

The Truth to be Ignored

One thing you may have noticed about me --
I do a lot of thinking.
Recently it has been on who I am, not only to myself, but to other people.

I am happily an individual. I do what it is that I want to do, because I want to be who it is that I want to be -- not who other people want me to be.
This has never posed a problem for me before. People like me for me, and my world is a lovely place. But these last few weeks I've encountered
Universal Truth Number Twenty Nine
People have expectations.

Others want you to be thin, smart, beautiful, funny, entertaining. They want you to have all the answers, be present at every function, and have an opinion on every action.

I've become someone that people think they can expect certain things from. This worries me. I'm not the expected. I'll never look like your perfect ex, I'll never be the ideal role model and employee, I won't ever fit into that mold that the world wants me to fit in, and I can't ever pretend that's a problem.
I am who I am. Nothing more, and absolutely nothing less.

I hope that each of you can stand up and say that. That you won't stand by and be labeled. That you won't your friends, your coworkers, your classmates assign you a stereotype and box that you're expected to fit into.
Be your own person, care nothing for the restraints that the twenty-ninth universal truth puts on you. You are your own person. Who cares what every other person expects from you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

...um, R U not in a serious relationship? That is silly that U R telling people 2 B happy single when U R not.

Anonymous said...

Haha, I've never been in any serious relationship, but I'm glad I'm single. Too many bullshit to keep up with just to impress people, I definitely get what you're saying.